Kahok Senior Serves as Student Board Representative

Zachary Otero, Staff Writer

Each year, a student is chosen to be a part of the district student board to represent their school. Emma Weil, a senior here at Collinsville High School, was elected by a majority of teachers and staff to be this year’s student board representative.

“I represent all the students in Unit 10,” said Weil, “That is approximately 6,500 students in the district overall. My job is to give these students a voice.”

Weil also holds the positions of Student Council and Key Club President, and she feels all the work is completely worth it.

As the student board representative, she will attend one meeting monthly at the Unit 10 annex to discuss topics such as the budget and the different courses given at the high school. Currently, she is in the process of traveling to thirteen local schools to interview students on their extracurricular and class preferences.

On top of interviewing panels of students, she is also hoping to obtain teacher evaluations from students because she believes their opinions matter.

“It’s important to me that kids enjoy school because having an outlook encourages students to believe in themselves and also influences their passion for education,” said Weil, “As a student, I struggled to find my passion and, because of that, I always felt less of myself.”

Weil said her passion now lies in leadership and being involved in extracurricular activities ever since she stepped foot into high school.

She also stated that there were many pros of being a representative including getting to know the administrators on the board of education, shadowing superintendent Dr. Green, and getting to know the many students and staff of Unit 10. As for the cons? Well, in her opinion, Weil exclaimed that there were simply none.

“Going to meetings may be out of my way, but it is totally worth it,” said Weil.

As for her future after high school, Weil plans to study education, preferably history thanks to Mr. Gordon. Her list of potential colleges include Murray State University, Missouri State University, and University of Missouri.

Interested in sitting in one of the board meetings? Fortunately, each gathering is open to the public so anyone can come to see what’s currently going on at their school.

“You can come to meetings to see what’s happening in your school and I think it’s just a great opportunity.”