CHS Presents A Dickens Christmas Carol

Sara Williams, News Editor

To kick off the Christmas Season, the CHS Drama Club and Thespian Troupe 643 will perform a play that even a Scrooge could love during the first week of December. In this production of ¨A Dickens Christmas Carol,¨ the aspiring actors and actresses of CHS and three from local elementary schools are rehearsing three hours each day for four days a week alongside the CHS Treble, Concert, and Mixed choirs to perfect every take on each individual role.

For those not familiar with the original Grinch, A Christmas Carol is a novel written by the British author Charles Dickens in hopes to restore the true meaning of Christmas. The story follows Ebenezer Scrooge, a bitter old penny-pincher that was known for responding to carolers with an angry, ¨Bah! Humbug!¨ until the ghosts of his past, present, and future appeared to show him the light of his ways.

Portraying Scrooge is senior Dakota Tostado, a Thespian and seasoned actor of CHS productions including ¨9 to 5,¨ ¨Changing Minds,¨ and ¨Almost, Maine.¨ Senior Avery Pollard will be tackling her role as Ghost of Christmas Past along with CHS junior Layne Wilhite for Ghost of Christmas Present, and senior Jadon Marlin will be portraying Ghost of Christmas Future. Alongside the ghostly roles, senior and Thespian, Connor McDonald will be portraying Bob Cratchit, Scrooge’s underpaid desk clerk. The production has been directed by club sponsor Rosemary Dodson along with her student director and Drama Club president, senior Jack Rimar.

¨A Dickens Christmas Carol is a great Christmas tradition and we hope that the production will be a wonderful way for audience members to kick off the holiday season,” said Dodson when asked why this specific production was selected.

Looking onward to the spring production, the club will be performing another play rather than the annual musical. Though it is still undecided, it is likely that they will be producing a comedy, ¨Game of Tiaras,¨ a spin off of HBO´s Game of Thrones and Shakespeare’s ¨King Lear¨ with the main characters being Disney princesses.

The play will be going on December 1-3 starting at 7 PM each night. Tickets are $5 at the door or in advance when buying them from drama kids or Dodson in room 512 or at her email, rdodson@cusd.kahoks.org.