Veteran’s Lunch

Tayler Devine, Sports Editor

Every year Collinsville High School’s very own Mrs. Lindauer hosts a Veteran’s Lunch. Collinsville High School does this to honor the Veterans. During this Luncheon, veterans and students get together to connect with each other. The Veteran’s Lunch is going on its eighth Luncheon. This was a special year for the annual luncheon- with four WWII Veterans, and a Vietnam Vet, the lunch was a nice appreciation towards all those who have served and still serving.

Mrs. Lindauer, a Navy Veteran, was also an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps and her father was a WWII Veteran. “I feel like I owe his generation respect and without them we wouldn’t have our Freedom,” said Mrs. Lindauer, “being a Veteran, I feel as if I have a connection to other Veterans.”

The day started out in Mr. Gordon’s classroom with having the Veterans speak of themselves and what they went through. After that, the Veterans and some students that volunteered to help with the Luncheon, went to the band room where the Show Choir performed for them. Shortly after, everyone made their way to the cafeteria- there, the Veterans were applauded for their service to our country from all those who were in the cafeteria.

Once done with their lunch, the Veterans and students went over to the Library where coffee and snacks were served. There, they spoke more about some of the stories they had and what it was like.

Jack Goddard, 89 years old, Navy Veteran, worked on a tugboat. “The biggest and most impressive part of my life was to see these massive ships come in an unload their casualties,” said Mr. Goddard, “then you would see the hurt soldiers come down in crutches and wheelchairs- it was a sad thing to see.”

Bill Nugent, an Air Force Veteran during WWII, was part of a division called the tenth air duct crew. His crew supported the Air Force as they made advances. “It was quite an experience and a journey I’ll never forget. It was worthwhile.” Mr. Nugent had a message on the back of his shirt he wore, it read- “If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English, thank a Veteran.”

Ray Esterlein, 93 of Collinsville, is a WWII Veteran. “It was such a nice day today,” said Mr. Esterlein, “being a part of this and seeing others was really nice.” His brother George Esterlein, WWII Veteran, was able to go to the Luncheon as well.

1 Comment

One Response to “Veteran’s Lunch”

1. Roberta Maue on December 7th, 2016 2:47 pm

Wonderful event!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Veteran’s Lunch

News

Shooting for the Stars

• Veteran’s Lunch

News

Kahok Senior Serves as Student Board Representative

• News

Internet Filtering

• Veteran’s Lunch

News

The Chrome Depot keeps students running

• Veteran’s Lunch

News

Get Ready to Run

• Entertainment

No Mirror Makeup Challenge

• Veteran’s Lunch

Photos

CHS Write On Fest 2017

• Veteran’s Lunch

News

Shooting for the Stars

• Veteran’s Lunch

Entertainment

Prom Pressured

• Veteran’s Lunch

Entertainment

La La Land May Break Oscar History

Veteran’s Lunch