Shooting for the Stars

April Burns, Editor-in-Chief

Collinsville High is aiming to shape more champions by introducing a brand new team to our school. Believe it or not, the Kahoks are one of the last to introduce a trap team. Trap shooting is the oldest shooting sport, consisting of gender neutral teams of five, where individuals set aim at flying clay pigeons. After five tries, the team rotates so each shooter has a chance to hit the pigeon from a different angle.

To be able to join, students must supply their own gun, have all essential paperwork, and attend a mandatory safety education class in St. Clair county in order to be on the team and be able to shoot. There are no tryouts to be on the Kahok trap team, but there are fees to join. Although it is not set in stone just yet, fees will likely be around $45 per student plus the cost of ammunition.

Of course, safety is a huge concern that comes along with introducing the Kahok Trap Team. However, it is made clear that all handling of the guns will be outside of school premises with no exceptions.

“The students will have plenty of time to go home after school and get their guns before practice begins at the Edwardsville Gun Club,” said Ms. Gruber-Huster. Student safety is always the priority.

When asked how the club was introduced, Ms. Gruber-Huster stated, “My family has all been trap shooting before and we really enjoy it. I was shocked to find out that Collinsville is the only school within the area that doesn’t have a trap shooting team.”

It was also emphasized that while the team is purely for fun, there are many scholarship opportunities for students who discover they have a passion for trap team.

Clay target shooting will begin in April and last 6 weeks. Practices will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. If interested, do not hesitate to contact the club sponsors Ms. Gruber-Huster (gym) or Ms. Bossetto (room 309).