The Kahoki

Fighting Depression

Joe Spotanski, Staff Reporter/ Web Designer

Depression. In today’s world it feels as if that word’s meaning has been misshapen. Many people think that depression is feeling sad constantly. When in reality it is the feeling of nothingness; it is feeling empty. Depressed people don’t feel sad about how they live or what has happened to them as much as they feel nothing; they feel numb to everything that happens to them. That nothingness traps these people and will not let them go without a fight.

It seems that people are afraid to speak up about how they’re depressed and continue to live in a life of doubt and nothingness. Then, when they finally do speak up they are told that to “get over it” or “that there is light at the end of the tunnel and they just need to wait.”

I know this much because I’ve lived and fought through depression. I lost my grandpa in 2009, my mother in 2010, almost lost some of my closest friends and family to suicide attempts, trust issues, and self image/ confidence problems. This school year alone I lost someone who meant the world to me, so I quit talking to friends and family and gave up on my future. I was living a secluded life that made me feel insignificant to those around me. I saw myself as a waste of space and resources. I wanted to be wiped away from the Earth’s surface, never to be heard of or thought of again. That’s the cruel reality of depression. It isn’t just being sad, but it’s thinking of yourself as worthless. It’s the thought that you mean nothing to anyone around you, and that they are better off without you.

It took me seven years of bottling up my emotions before I hit rock bottom. That’s when I realized that I couldn’t live my life like that anymore. I didn’t want to always feel nothing while others were having the times of their lives.

I focused on fighting this battle for the last seven months, and these methods helped me. I’m not saying that all these methods will work for everyone, but I’m still saying all this in an attempt to help whoever I can. I know how it was living in that hole and what it does physically and emotionally, and no one deserves to feel that way.

These are steps that I took that helped me, so maybe if you use these tips with an open mind they will help you:

1. Want Help

You can have all the resources you need to beat depression, but if you don’t feel that you’re worth the time then nothing can be done to help. No matter who you are if you need help you aren’t wasting anyone’s time. It’s like the old expression goes: “You can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.” If you aren’t completely behind getting help, nothing can be done.

1. Talk to People

You may think that you can beat depression alone, but if you don’t have a solid support system around you then your battle is going to destroy you. You can’t beat it on your own. You need to open up to close people around you. I’m not saying tell your life story and trust every single person with everything, because we all know that this world is full of snakes in the grass. Regardless, if your support system is family, friends, professionals, or a mixture you need to talk. If you don’t talk to others, you don’t get your thoughts out and you dwell on your depression.

1. Be careful who you trust

This plays into the second point. You should talk to people around you, but you have to be careful. Don’t tell everyone what is happening to you. I talked to family about family matters and close friends about social matters. You have to test different methods because we all don’t have the same options. In the end you need to talk to others around you, but remember; Trust is to be earned, not gifted. 

1. Get a motivation

It sounds cliche, but it’s true. You need to find something or someone to motivate and better yourself. My motivation was college. I was motivated to be the best that I could possibly be so my future could be as bright as possible. You need to find something to keep your spirits up and keep you focused, because with no motivation, you won’t push yourself to better your future.

1. Find a hobby or a pastime that makes you happy

This is one of the steps that is often overlooked. If you find a hobby or pastime that makes you happy, it takes you out of that depressed mindset and makes you concentrate on your hobby, whether if it’s a club, physical activity, crafts, etc.

1. Appreciate the little things in life

When was the last time you stopped what you were doing to watch the sun rise or set? When was the last time you sat out and looked at the stars? When was the last time you drove around to just drive, without thinking of where you were going? You may think being happy or finding things that make you happy is like finding a needle in a haystack, but in reality it is much easier than that. If you open your eyes to see the small things that life has to offer, you begin to realize life isn’t just full of all bad with some happy sprinkled in. It’s a beautiful thing that makes you think.

1. Make your bed

It sounds silly but hear me out. I would bet that only a handful of people reading this article actually make their bed in the morning. It’s a small task that many people look over, but is has more of an impact than it seems. If you make your bed in the morning, you’ve completed your first task of the day. The feeling of finishing that task will make you want to complete more and more tasks throughout the day. Another reason to make your bed is that if you have a bad day, coming home to a neat bed gives off the feeling that tomorrow will be new, clean, and much better than the one before.

1. Never Lose Hope

All these points are very important, but this is the most important one. Without having hope that one day you will get better and that it never stays dark forever, you’ll live in a world of constant doubt and fear. A quote that I used to keep myself hopeful goes like this: “He who surrender hope, surrenders life.” It made me feel that my future will always be dark if I only let myself see dark. If you aren’t hopeful for the future, then regardless of all the steps you take, you will never break free from depression’s vice grip.

Like I said earlier, not all of these steps or ideas will help everyone, but they may help you if you try.

I beg those who read this, if you know someone who is battling depression to send them this article in hopes that it will help them. I want this article to reach as many that it can to help as many as it can.

Also, if anyone who reads this article feels that they’re going to hurt themselves or others, want help, or just need to vent to an open ear, do not hesitate to get in touch with any of the contacts listed below.

Good luck to all who begin their fight and have hope, because regardless of who you are, if you are, I believe in you. I’ll leave you with this quote, from former MLB outfielder Mookie Wilson, that sounds like a joke but has a great meaning: “When I’m in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere they must be believing in me. And if a dinosaur can believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out.” If a dinosaur can believe in you, then you can as well.

My Email jspotans@cusd.kahoks.org or spotty4010@gmail.com

Mrs. Trapp: Email: ktrapp@cusd.kahoks.org

Call: 618-346-6320 extension 1169

Mrs. Fedorchak: Email: mfedorch@cusd.kahoks.org

Call: 618 346 6320 extension 1170

Counseling Department: https://chscounselingdepartment.shutterfly.com/

National Suicide Hotline: Call: 1-800-273-8255

Text: TALK to 741741