New class selections for the 2019-2020 school year

Damian Morris, Editor-in-Chief/ Staff Reporter

Deciding on what classes to take next year? Well there will be four new classes to choose from. Here is a list of everything new they have to offer:

CEO Entrepreneurship

This class is a year-long elective and offered to juniors and seniors. It was started by the Collinsville community in an attempt to encourage students to start businesses in this community as a way to give back. It’s the community’s way of investing in their future generation.

According to Dr. Blackard, “The class meets before school–off campus” for 90 minutes each school day. She continues by explaining the main point of the class as being for students to “develop their own business.”

Collinsville High School will be partnering with Triad High School, so it will include students from both schools in their class. “Throughout the course students are provided with the opportunity to start their own business and showcase their work at an annual trade show,” said Midland Institute for Entrepreneurship. Students will have the opportunity to tour different businesses, which is where each of their classes will be located, and see how they work from the inside.

They will also have approximately “40 guest speakers a year” according to Dr. Blackard, and will also be “assigned mentors” to help them get their business off the ground she continues. The business department is hopeful to see a future growth in businesses growing in the community.

Personal Finance

This will be a semester long elective course offered to juniors and seniors.

“This used to be a class many years ago,” said Mrs. Fuhrhop. “The school district took the Consumer Ed. requirement and they moved it to a freshman level for first quarter. And so ever since that happened, the business department has been adamant about getting the class back.”

A list of the material discussed in this class are as follows:

• Earning Income
  • Budgeting and Buying Good and Services
  • Saving
  • Understanding Credit
  • Investing
  • Risk Management/Insurance

The business department believes that, although ninth graders get a basic understanding of their finances in their Consumer Ed. class, they need a more in-depth knowledge on the topic before leaving high school to prepare for their adult lives.

According to Mrs. Fuhrhop, “This course will be dual credit through SWIC for 3 credit hours in Management 117.” Edward Jones has also volunteered to come into the classroom on a regular basis because they understand the importance of learning this material at this age. Each student will have the opportunity to compete in the Illinois Personal Finance Challenge State Competition along with a chance for Mrs. Fuhrhop to select students enrolled in the class for the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Board of Directors. Mrs. Fuhrhop mentions that every student will have to manage their finances at some point, and many will be taking student loans for college, or in other words, “debt.” She emphasizes the importance of the class by saying that

“We don’t want them to learn by trial and error.” She wants students to get a head start for their financial futures. The extensive efforts by the business department have finally paid off, getting them this class.

Cosmetology I and II

This will be a year long course offered to juniors and seniors. Students will have the opportunity to get their certification in the field if they chose to take a second year. School for Cosmetology can range anywhere from $7,000 to $20,000 whereas they can get it for free here. This class has been driven by the industry due to a “shortage of people to hire” according to Dr. Blackard. Most Cosmetology buildings have shut down because they have no one to train and have nowhere to train the ones they have. The class will meet off campus from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. every day of the school week and “one Saturday a month to their 15,000 hours to get their license.” The industry now has a place to start building interest in the field along with a way to train the people who are to hopefully help build the industry back up.

Math 4 – STEM

This is a year long course offered only to seniors. The State of Illinois passed the Post secondary Workforce Readiness Act, and “part of that law in the State of Illinois is that schools have to offer a transitional math class to transfer from high school to college,” said Ms. Tesdall. This is to help students who have been struggling with math in the past to be better prepared for college level math courses.

“They were finding a lot of students were having to take mediation classes that weren’t counting toward their college degree just to keep up,” said Ms. Tesdall. Collinsville High School is doing a version of this that prepares students for any of the three paths:

• STEM
  • Quantitative Analysis
  • Tech Math

They are hoping that this course will help students to ready themselves to be successful if they choose to take the college route.

With so many classes to choose from, it can get overwhelming, and with four more, it makes it even more complicated. Just remember to take your time when choosing. You have until the end of the school year to make any changes you might want to regarding your schedule, so there is plenty of time left to decide. Good luck to all students with choosing the path that is right for you.