The student news site of Collinsville Community Unit School District 10

The Kahoki

Teachers Share Career Paths

Alejandra Deleon, Staff Reporter

Everyone has a different career plan. Would you like to know more about what your teachers career plan was? Trust me it wasn’t always teaching. Here are a few teachers who opened up on what they were before teaching and what they wanted to become.

Q: What did you want to become when you were younger? What career did you have before you became a teacher?

-Mr. Liljegren

A: I wanted to play centerfield for the Chicago Cubs. [Before I started teaching] I was a college computer science professor, and at the same time, I was a college assistant football coach. Then, I became a head college football coach, so I didn’t teach anymore. Then, I was a high school math teacher and football coach. I’ve done that at two different schools.

-Mrs. Voelkel

A: For a long time, I thought I’d be a lawyer. I come from a political family. I also worked in food service and was a waitress in college and in high school.

-Ms. Capellmann

A: I wanted to be a pediatrician, and then I wanted to be a nurse. Before that, I wanted to be an opera singer. I played in several high school productions. I auditioned, and got a role in my late 30’s in a college production at McKendree. [Before I started teaching] I had a degree in early childhood in Germany.

-Ms. Blair

A: When I was little I wanted to be a nurse and then a broadway singer. [Before I started teaching] I taught and then did something else. I was a bilingual claims adjuster speaking French for an insurance company [which was] Rubbermaid company in Montreal, Canada. I taught English to Japanese businessman, and taught Japanese to foreign exchange students.

-Mrs. Geppert

A: I wanted to be a mom first, and then a teacher. I’m lucky I’ve been able to do both. My sister had a disability, although it was only deafness. However, maybe interpreting for her kinda built that nearshoring skills for me. When I was in high school I worked in Taco Bell, I worked in a group home for developmentally disabled adults. I was a two year teacher, a three year old teacher, and then an assistant director in a preschool center. After I did assistant director, I went into social work. I would pick children up from their foster homes and supervise mandatory visits with their biological.

-Mrs. Reed

A:  [I wanted to become] a tornado chaser. [Before I started teaching] I worked in the business world, did some stuff with accounting, banking, I was an office worker.

-Mr. Burgess

A: When I was younger I always wanted to be either a teacher or a doctor. This is because I loved helping people. and my mother was a teacher and growing up I was all around classrooms, and students of different ages. I had a twin sister and I would make her take test and grade them harshly. [I’ve] always loved to learn, and as a teacher I always learn new things to help students. I went to college for history and education. After I graduated I worked in business, I was a sales rep. Although I liked that job, I missed working in teaching.