The student news site of Collinsville Community Unit School District 10

The Kahoki

Behind the scenes look at The Darkness

Gracie Pryor, Staff Reporter

If you have had a conversation with me at all in the past two years, then you know that I work at The Darkness Haunted House as an actor. A lot of work goes into making and acting in a haunted house. Lighting, set building, actor training, costume making, and make-up just to scratch the surface.

Working at a haunted house is very similar to a normal job, however, there is quite a bit more that goes into it.

On average days we clock in and go into the costume room and grab our costumes. If you wear a mask, you will put black make-up over your eyes and grab your mask and sit down and wait for the meeting. If you get makeup done, you go to the make-up room to get it done by the make-up artists, and it can take about ten to twenty minutes per actor. After all of that our boss calls a meeting and we find out if there are any special people going through tonight, such as celebrities or other haunted house workers, and he tells us the reviews from the night before. After the meeting we all go into the haunt and take our places in our scenes and wait for the call of live house. Once a group comes through my scene, I hide and scream and act in my character until the group goes through my scene.

There are five different zones within The Darkness that guests walk through, and it takes about an hour to walk through the two floors of terror! If you purchased a ticket for the Silo X attraction, then you will go through and play zombie laser tag. Then you will enter Zone 1, a mythological dungeon where they worship Medusa.

Next