The Kahoki

Get to Know Our New Counselor

Courtney Marten, Staff Reporter

This year, Ms. Eliff’s moved to a new position that is in charge of the Kahok Academy, a program to help our graduation rate by helping students at risk of not graduating. Ms. Elliff’s replacement is Renee Kurtz. “She is a good person to come in and give our school a new spark,” said guidance counselor, Mr. Kee.

I sat down with Ms. Kurtz to find out a little more about her.

Q: Where did you graduate?

A: I graduated from Moline High School in Moline Illinois. I also got my bachelor’s from SIUE and my masters from Lindenwood University- Belleville

Q: Have you ever worked as a counselor for another school?

A: Yes, I worked as a special needs counselor at Lewis and Clark Community College

Q: Are you familiar with the Collinsville area?

A: I’ve lived in Edwardsville since 2003 but I’m still learning more about the area

Q: How do you plan to educate students on your roster?

A: I plan on doing classroom visits about test preparations, as well as one-on-one appointments with students. I also hope to help as many students as possible with their college plans.

Q: What are your goals?

A: I would like to help students reach their full potential and help them succeed at CHS as well as in their future.

Q: What do you think is going to be the most challenging?

A: Learning more about Collinsville and all of the resources that are available to the students.

Q: Tell us a little more about yourself…

A: I’m from Northern Illinois. I play tennis and am a passionate outgoing person excited to work with students

Q: How do you like CHS so far?

A: LOOOOOOOOVVEE IT!!!! #excitedtobehere