The Kahoki

Why CHS Should Embrace Their Students’ Cultural Backgrounds

Alejandra Deleon, Staff Reporter

We should all understand the culture of a nation, person, or group– their arts, beliefs, customs, and values should be as important to us. The best way to get to know new people is by understanding where they come from, and to be able to do that we must all embrace their roots. Cultural Events shouldn’t just involve the people in that culture. It should involve everyone. We all have something to share about our cultures, and learning about these stories will help us all grow together.

Latina- Diana Pacheco- Junior

What do you think? Should CHS be more involved in their students’ cultural events?

“I think our school should be more involved because it can help new students understand each other, and it can help other non-English speakers get from one place to another with the help of someone else.”

Do you think we need more than just Global Fest? If yes, then what are some of your ideas?

“I believe we should have more than just Global Fest. We could possibly learn about other countries on their national days and celebrate them in classes other than just foreign language classes.”

What is your favorite thing about your culture? Would you like for others to enjoy your culture as well?

“I’m Latina. I support and love my culture so much. My favorite thing about my culture is the food, the huge celebrations we have, and the events we do as a family that lead us up to Christmas.  I would definitely love for others to enjoy my culture as much as I do.”

—————————————————————————————————————————

Albanian- Blerta Beluli- Senior

“To be honest, I think we have a good happy medium at CHS with clubs like German Club, Spanish Club, and Multicultural Club. These clubs focus on the celebrations held around the world and encourage others to embrace where they come from, as well as learn about different cultures. They aren’t as public as Global Fest which is probably why most kids don’t know about them or the activities they host, so I could see how we would want it advertise those celebrations more.”

“I would change the way we address racial/ethnic problems that occur in our school and surrounding areas. If you don’t address those kind of things people will believe that that’s okay, when it definitely isn’t.”

“Besides the fun dances and foods we have, I love how oriented my culture is. Albanians will die for their families (Distant or close). We are also very welcoming, always look for the best in others, and try to help as much as possible. No matter how little we have, we are sure to have enough for our family and loved ones”.

—————————————————————————————————————————-

German- Ms. Capellmann- Teacher

“Yes, because although we live in the midwest, we have a very diverse environment, and historically very diverse backgrounds.”

“I like Global Fest because it shows off, how much diversity exists here with in our own perimeters. We can do more to bring the larger world to CHS, for example by promoting foreign languages, cultures, and inviting those into the classroom. Students from other areas or countries have greater skill sets relating to people from other countries, we need to invite more environment in.”

It’s a young culture, they are a very educated, it’s a culture that is curious and inventitive. It’s very diverse with its borders. The heritage, art, food, and landscape are all beautiful. I’d love for others to enjoy my culture like I do.”

Mrs. Lindauer

“I think it’s good for students to share their culture’s with each other because it breaks down stereotypes. Not every student shares the same interest. I believe they shouldn’t be forced to learning about different cultures especially, if they are not interested.”

Do you think we need more than just Global Fest?

“We do have more than Global Fest. Multicultural Club is there for that. The only issue is that not many people show up for it and support it. Students don’t know that there’s more than just Global Fest.”