The student news site of Collinsville Community Unit School District 10

The Kahoki

The Kahoki

The Kahoki

HOSA State
Haley Bolla, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Take the stress out of finals
Jaida Jerez, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Senior Goodbye
Haleigh DykesApril 23, 2024
Prom Ticket Prices
Katelyn Berger, Staff Writer • March 20, 2024
Safety at Schools and Games
Jaida Jerez, Staff Writer • March 15, 2024
Wilted Season Roses
Dustin Taylor, Staff Writer • March 1, 2024

New Dental class off to a new start

Jaida Jerez
Kenneth Diaz and Celsa Haro-Vazquez use the mouth mirror and saliva ejector on a mannequin.

A new class is paving the way for students to start their dental assisting career. Collinsville High School Vocational Center has added a new dental assisting class for kids who are interested in going into the dental field.
How to get in the class ? To get in the class, sign up for the dental assisting class when you pick your classes. You have to be a junior or senior. If you attend Collinsville High School, the class is free. Collinsville also offers students from other Schools to come and take this class for a small fee.
What do you do in this class? You learn all about the teeth, the numbers, surfaces, and the different types of mouth diseases. You learn the proper personal protective equipment, commonly referred to as “PPE,” and you learn the right way to pass equipment to the dentist. This class teaches you how to prepare for patients. You get CPR certified, and you also learn how to take vitals, temperature, and pulse.
How long is this class? This class is a one semester course. It has two sections that are two and a half hours long. Section A is second, third , and four A. Section B is four B, third, and fourth hour.
After this class can you go straight into the dental field? With this class you are able to go straight into a dentist office. College is only needed to become more than a dental assistant.
Do students work on each other? This class provides a dentist lab which has dental mannequins to work on. There will be a select few times students work on each other.
Students will start class registration in November. Check the student course guide, and talk to your counselor for more information.